09 June 2006

GRADUMACATION!

At Elvo's request, a last-minute stub:

Yesterday, on the first true summer's day in Belgium, I graduated with great distinction from the Royal Carillon School (two points short of my own teacher in 1982) and earned the first perfect score in the history of the school with my thesis, a 366-page catalog of the Carillon Museum in Mechelen.

It was a very good day. For a few precious hours, I felt as if I could be a normal member of society again. And now I have accomplished precisely what I came to do: Learn to make music with the carillon, earn the diploma with great distinction, and find a way to go down in history.

Dinner tonight at De Kok & De Proever next door was great. That dessert...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations, buddy! I'm so happy for you, see you've successfully fought off all the scary demons you mentioned in your previous post.

Klaas said...

Or as we put it in Dutch: "formitastisch" :-p Well done, I think you've beaten yourself!! So sad (well, more likely to us than to you) you're not here anymore to keep up another Belgian tradition: treat everyone to a couple of drinks (AND concerts) to celebrate your gradumacation :-p Anyway, start enjoying the summer AND success at your summer performances! Cheers!

tropik said...

congrats dude!!!!! that's awesome! (not that i had any doubt in you excelling :))

today, belgium. tomorrow, the world? :p