20 February 2006

the other side of procrastination

I mentioned in advance to various people that I was going to be in the States, but as they seemed to have no use for me, I scheduled a brief trip with little free time. And today several people suddenly email me for lunch/dinner organizational meetings. So much for sleep and the field trip to the organ at the Abdij van Leffe in Dinant (yes, you read that right--an organ field trip to a brewery!) the day of my return.

Antwerpen to Mechelen in 8 minutes: Yes, it's possible.

I'm filling out my tax forms way early to make sure UM awards me financial aid this year (the merit aid department hasn't been responding to my inquiries... hmmm). I started two hours ago, and except for one line I don't understand (self-employed health insurance deduction), I'm practically done. A great improvement over my first three years in college, when just looking at the forms had me flummoxed. *helps self to another chocolate*

The Oxford American Thesaurus of Current English (how did Oxford get the last word on American English?) has very few elaborate entries, but for the first time I discovered a lengthy table of terms--under the listing for "beer."

3 comments:

tropik said...

incidentally, how pissed off was i when in the film 'rush hour' (not that i'm expecting you to have seen/heard of it, miss ng) chris tucker says [of jackie chan], "how about that...can't even speak american". american? fu, tucker. :)

carillonista said...

I have heard of the movie "Rush Hour"! i.e. everybody talks about it and I have no idea what the conversation is about.

But don't you consider American a lower form of English, and therefore one you'd want carefully distinguished from English English?

I'm not a student at UM yet... I was admitted last year and deferred because they had no finaid left for me... and because I got a better offer overseas. :)

carillonista said...

did you find ann arbor to be that much like berkeley? i tried to explore the city during my visit and didn't find much that excited me, and one of my berkeley friends dropped out after a month at UM because she missed berkeley so much in comparison. so now i'm a bit nervous about the idea of going.