08 February 2006

compline

I still haven't found a church that offers compline, the twenty incense- and candlelight-filled minutes of pure vocal music every Sunday night that kept me sane last year, so I'm looking forward to getting my compline fix after my ISM audition.
However, the Church of the Dominicans in Brussels offers organ meditation every Sunday night. And I love the wry use of manuscript illuminations on the music web pages. I could spend a lifetime just looking through illuminated manuscripts. Which reminds me, I need to contact the Beinecke really soon if I want to borrow their books for the exhibit in June. Crikey.

4 comments:

Klaas said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Klaas said...

Oops... pushed the wrong button... perhaps you can restore my reply which you may have got via e-mail?
If not: I just said it's probably not that hard to find an abbey where you can attend a read compline, while you'll definetely have a hard time looking for Gregorian chant compline within a reasonable distance from Mechelen, provided you'd find any at all...

And about the term "compline": the web site you referred to explained that it is derived from the latin "complere", so to complain that the day is finished and a dark and dangerous night is soon to come. However, I was always taught a "Dutchcentric" version (or whatever you may call it): the Dutch translation of compline, "completen", would be derived of "compleet", as in "the day is completed" :-)

carillonista said...

Matt! I'm delighted that my blog has been graced by a post from you. The Bay Area does indeed rock, and I miss playing at St. Joseph. Although the immense amount of music here (including early vocal music) really leaves my head spinning. It's just compline that's lacking... perhaps not popular amongst Catholics?

carillonista said...

Klaas... I don't receive comments via email, but I appreciate your having written that one anyway. :) Your Dutchcentric definition of compline is certainly in line with its meaning for me.

Anyway, if you spot any abbeys with compline on their schedules, let me know. I'm always on the lookout for adventure beyond Mechelen anyway. ;)