13 February 2006

beiaardconcerten

My first scheduled concert: August 13 at 2 pm on the City Carillon of Brussels! Which is actually the carillon at which I had to cancel my BAEF concert when I was run over a week beforehand. I wouldn't have associated the two events if Koen Cosaert had not commented that he'd had bad luck with the church. He broke his leg the day after the concert, and when he returned to perform during "Klara in het Paleis", he also had bad luck, although the incident now slips my memory. As for playing on the 13th, I'm sure nothing bad will happen--knock on wood. I'm not superstitious, after all.

My first Valentine's day card arrived today--from Kim! Gals take care of each other. Common school, common obscure musical instrument, common bone-breaking accidents in Mechelen, common favorite city, common passion for chocolate, common ability to send cards at just the right time, common ex. We were clearly meant to be friends.

I haven't practiced Clérambault's Suite du deuxième ton much since returning to the organ, knowing that Joris would spin my conception of the pieces by 180°. After all, I've never played this kind of music. And tonight, at my first lesson since the accident, he did not fail me. I have to completely relearn the suite; what the music is supposed to sound like hardly corresponds to what is written on the paper. I just hope the changes he suggests for the Mendelssohn and Hindemith (which I sort of have yet to learn) Sonatas. Nos. 2 aren't quite as earth-shattering. While the joy of revelation is great, it could all get a bit confusing at auditions.

Tonight I discovered an effective way to make my own wakame soup. I also returned my appearance somewhat further to its former state. Further details to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tiffany, i still 'd like to thank you for attending my concert in oostende, i really hope you enjoyed it so it was worth the trip...! I actually hoped we could meet afterwords but you disappeared so quickly, anyhow, i'm sure we'll have the chance again later, maybe on one of your carillon concerts.....!

Speaking of Charpentier by the way, i had a smile of recognition on my face reading your comment on your clérambault class.... You may know already Pascale Van Coppenolle, the famous oranist from Luxemburg, who recorded clérambaults works and other french (early) baroque repertoire..... i actually had a chance of attending a masterclass with her, we discussed the suite du deuxième ton and the suite on Veni Creator (wich i adore even more and played at my exam last year). Of all recordings with famous musicians, even from french origin, i heared, the one from Mrs Van Coppenolle kept standing out..... I 'd take to much words for me to describe that to you... anyway, we attended this masterclass on the recently renovated Le Picard-organ in the basiliek of Tongeren, it 'd also take to much words to describe that, but the experience was magnificent...... you know its my teacher Luc Ponet who's actually organist there, so maybe, if you'd like that i could see with him if it would be possible at all for you to go there and play clerambaults music on an organ he would have wanted it to be played on. Its also tuned in a very specific french ancient temperature.

I still dont know why i have this strange profound affinity towards french musc of that period... after my exam last year, i was glad to perform a new project with that kind of music, and i promis it won't be the last to come........ Oh and by the way, in case you haven't got it already, i have the suites of clerambault in facsimile edition. I discovered them again just this week ( i had them for a long time, but moving from my place in leuven to our new place in de haan, it disappeared just to re-appear last week)and if you'd like, you can borrow them, or i can make copies to send to you........ whatever you like.....

Oh and after reading your comments on my brother's blog, i got curious and visited your photo site... so from this day on, you have another admirer of your art-work!

best regards, koen