30 April 2007

conflict

So I was one of eight students nominated for consideration for an expenses-paid trip to "Convening Student Perspectives and Creating New Models for the 21st Century" at the Shepherd School of Music in October. And of course the conference coincides directly with the EROI Festival. At least I know there's no shortage of things to do next year. Ha. Ha.

In a way, I'm relieved to be forced to decline the nomination. Accepting it would make me feel sleazy. I've been frustrated at the lack of democratic processes here concerning opportunities like this. Many important things seem to happen by nomination rather than by request for interest and applications. I suppose this streamlines the process for the school and avoids situations in which nobody applies. However, it also perpetuates the current lack of interest in applying for or even thinking about participating in important non-performance activities. A vicious cycle.

For heaven's sake, I need to stop griping about my school and just accept that I have better things to do than worry about it or dream up ways in which it could be better. There are many other problems in the world that need improvement more severely than the atmosphere here.

No comments: