01 April 2007

vexation

Just to reiterate some of my frustration with Eastman, already deeply exacerbated last night vicariously and directly, would anyone care to explain why the 72 bus runs on Sundays from late morning to early afternoon and then just stops? Since it was raining, I took the bus to the River Campus to demonstrate the carillon at the request of the college urbex group. I missed the next bus out, so I figured I'd take the following one--only to find that it was in four hours. So I had to call a cab. To get from one part of my own school to another.

I knew I should have biked. It was raining lightly, but knowing Rochesterian weather, the rain would have gotten heavier the moment I started pedaling -- yes, as a direct consequence of my getting on a bike. The larger point is: Who would think to check the bus schedule for four hour gaps? From what kind of public transportation malaise does my country suffer? I suppose there is truth to the opinion, expressed by Americans and Norwegians(!) alike, that Rochester is rather similar to midwestern towns. It's undeniably a car culture; you can't reach more than a few things by going to any one place unless you're going to a mall. Have people here ever envisioned lives not attached to their cars?

For a note of levity, Mark sent me a great link to architectural comedy. This scornful and droll observer seems to share my distaste for contemporary Dutch architects, some of whom even have delusions of being Le Corbusier.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Recall i invited you to use Twitter and Meetro and mentioned i had in mind an experiment of sorts. Before divulging my idea, i figured your unbiased feedback would be useful, but meanwhile, Twitter exploded onto the scene, while Meetro languished even though it runs on mobile handsets, interoperates with multiple instant messaging systems, and features groups and location awareness.

Having once gone 15 months carless and still with many friends going carless, i had in mind using social networking and location-aware computing to coordinate planned and dynamic ridesharing. Seeing how Americans all over have adopted Twitter, but not Rochesterians nor Meetro leaves me doubtful this could succeed here anytime soon. It would need to spread like wildfire among a tightly knit and densely spaced crowd to become convenient enough to reach a tipping point. Bicycles seem, by far, more convenient.