11 December 2006

put on the spot

Organ and electronics and contemporary carillon music? Didn't Randy and I organize that first? What are the likes of Michael Nyman and the Minster bell ringers copying us?

But seriously, I'd love to hear and track down Nyman's piece to see if it's possible to perform it on the carillon. I remember an mp3 with "carillon" in the title attributed to him that I must have deleted, not believing its provenance. It wasn't a carillon piece. But clearly he has an interest in bells... *gears in head start turning*

Dr. Porter put me in the Colloquium spotlight for the first time tonight, coincidentally choosing the pieces I had played from memory in previous studio classes as examples in his "guest lecture" on memorizing pieces. I had, of course, put my organ shoes away, but to my surprise, I was completely calm, accurate, and even expressive playing the first few phrases of Franck's "Prelude, Fugue & Variation" in 3-inch heel boots in front of forty organists. Good confidence-building preparation for Monday, when I meet my doom conducting the anthem and, by the way, conducting anything for the first time in my life. In front of some of the best teachers and students of this matter in the country. Maybe if I wear boots, it'll get me through the trial.

BWV 545
Fugue = OK, still not in my motor memory so conceptual grasp didn't always translate into performance
Prelude = Thumbs down. Not sure if it's my motor memory or conceptual memory that failed me.

Nevertheless, I take a certain pride in at least having attempted these things from memory, something that hasn't been done too frequently in our studio class. Now if only my attempts could be as successful on stage as they are in our organ cubicles.

Dr. Porter called Sally at the beginning of improv class. She was in good spirits as always, even sharp enough to remember at the moment she was put on the phone with me by surprise to thank me for the postcard I'd sent her over the summer (which I'd actually forgotten). What a lady.

One thing I wish I could emulate about Dr. Porter, Sally, and others is by-the-seat-of-your-pants thoughtfulness. When I announced the Xmas carillon concert, Dr. Porter jumped in to encourage everyone to read the Currents carillon article, which I hadn't even thought to mention. I ought to have mentioned to Sally that I had received her email in September with appreciation, but put on the spot, especially over the phone (which I will reiterate to anyone upset at me about it that I have great difficulty talking on the phone), I was rather speechless.

2 comments:

palaeologos said...

My guess would be that the Nyman piece is something to do with change ringing; I could easily be mistaken, though.

carillonista said...

I certainly agree with you. My wording was careless; one website called Nyman's piece a "carillon piece" although I'm sure there's no carillon in Minster. I've never heard change ringing effectively done on carillon, but I know of someone in the Netherlands who gives workshops precisely to that effect, and possibly someone on the east coast. Nyman's piece must be special somehow... hmmm...