29 December 2006

post-op

I woke up extremely uncomfortable and shifted around frequently hoping to find a more comfortable position. I also wanted my cell phone (my best friend in times of limited mobility), but was unable to really articulate this, or anything else for that matter.

According to Dr. Belzer, I was "kicking and thrashing everywhere" when I woke up, which reassured him that my leg was working. I admit that that sounds in line with my post-accident mindset in Belgium. I suppose the real scenario was somewhere in between.

It's fortunate that I passed out again, because when I awoke in the recovery room, I was still pretty ill. With a last ounce of effort, I smsed a resolute "Done" [sic] to Mr. Stephenson, convincing myself (erroneously) that I was really just fine. I passed out again and awoke much, much, much improved. The Filipino nurse who saw me out reminded me that Daly City is foggy because of the large Filipino population, which is always steaming fish and rice. And that's what we say about the Chinese in the Sunset district!

JR informs me that he was hiking in a Hawai'ian volcano crater when I called him from the airport. Typical. What a place to be before heading back to blizzardly Denver, though.

Udon from Mifune in J-Town is still my favorite (warm) comfort food in the world. Mmm. Mmm. Mmm.

No comments: