02 November 2006

nothing to eat!

Although she has far more food than Lauren and me together (her comestibles occupy the entire freezer, two of her own mini-fridges, a bookshelf, and the regular kitchen shelf) Donna's usual evening complaint is, "I have nothing to eat!" Then the other day she discovered all the food buried in the back of our endless kitchen cabinets and was flabbergasted. "I have sooo much to eat!!!"

For the past few days I've really had nothing at home to eat, although the final dish I was able to throw together with the remainder of my food, butternut squash soup, was damn good. There's just been no time for shopping. Fortunately, that means there's been no time for cooking either. Thank goodness for Java's afternoon sales and lightning-speed dinners from the Chinese/Japanese place. Tonight I ordered vegetable noodle soup to go, and it popped out of the kitchen in two minutes.

America is a very good place to eat. And it's affordable to eat out here. Just ask the residents of Houston, who eat out 4.2 times per week.

No comments: