03 September 2006

sk8r shopping

Speaking of spending money, may I say that although after a year of European outdoor shopping (i.e. what inspired Newbury Street) I have developed a particular distaste for massive strip malls where you drive from one store to the next, I am in heaven when it comes to clothes shopping. No more stuffy high-heel boots and skirts that let the cold wind blow up your ... in the winter. American women prefer what feels comfortable, be it classy or ghetto, and it shows in the selection.

I randomly walked into the first store I saw in the mall (the shopping mall being but part of the massive strip mall) and realized I'd gone straight into the women's section of a skater store. I found the shoes of my dreams right away, although my size wasn't in stock -- thank goodness for Zappos. And I found the hats of my dreams right next to the shoe section. I scoured stores desperately for how many days in the Belgian rain and never found a proper hat?? Plus I got a sleek leather wallet (surfer style with "Nixon" disorientingly emblazoned on the back), which I'd also spent at least an hour searching for in Belgium, only to find endless girly wallets covered in buckles and straps that didn't do squat besides take up room on this overcrowded planet. I need as slim a wallet as possible to cram all my other crap into my bag.

I miss Europe desperately right now. At least I'm in non-girly-functional-comfortable-badass fashion heaven.

No comments: