21 September 2006

the old boys club

As I zealously scour the AYA directory for help in the carillon campaign, I continue to realize how little I comprehend of the power and privilege to which this "old boy's club" gives me a surreally direct link. The difference between Eastman, prestigious as it is, and stratospheric Yale first became really apparent when the director of the heavily-publicized IML warned a prospective applicant, "Money doesn't grow on trees here." You would never hear that at Yale. In fact, Yale has enough money to (pretend to) teach the world for free. And I could pull in enough money there to accomplish things for the carillon that people never considered here. The Beinecke, the Yale Guild, all things matter-of-factly handed to me on a plate (in return for some effort, of course)... I have to say I'm glad that I didn't choose UOR or Cal or any other place for my undergrad years in the end. Because there is something in a name.

1 comment:

tropik said...

aint that the truth!