12 August 2006

museumnacht antwerpen

Jon's prolific blogging from Japan has inspired me to record my adventures again before they disappear from my memory forever. But I promise I will have blog entries for all the other stuff I've been doing... someday.

Elvo and I hit up the Antwerp Diamond Museum this afternoon after a lunch of Hollandse nieuw maatjes (according to him, maatjes normally means "buddy," except when it's referring to your slices of raw herring) and koffiekeuken. The museum had some gorgeous pieces, although the newly renovated design was too streamlined and hip to be very educational. The message was typically Antwerpen-centric. But curiosity finally satisfied, and a bit learned about diamonds and history.

We tried to check off the Rubenshuis, but of course it was too late to buy tickets by the time we arrived--deja vu or a message from up high to give up on Rubens? Gravity naturally sucked us into the neighboring De Slegte (bookworm heaven), where after a second endless search, I finally rediscovered the black-and-white book of Antwerp photos by Martien Coppens that I'd been hitting myself over the head for not buying during my first post-accident return to 't Stad. Nevertheless, I walked out empty-handed since the book wasn't in prime condition, but considering the prices I've found at online antiquarian book dealers, I'm probably going to claim it pretty soon. Speaking of my wishlist, Wagamama has a new cookbook devoted to noodles! *drool* I also found a stunning book of black-and-white post-WWII photos of Köln by August Sander. Way too heavy to bring back to Mechelen, let alone the USA, but worth keeping in mind.

After a spicy Wagamama dinner utilizing the "één gratis hoofdgerecht" coupon I'd plucked off the ground last week, I headed to the FotoMuseum and witnessed the photographing of a long line of women in lingerie gathered in the titillating Château Lagrange exhibit. It was almost impossible to tell who the photographer was because so many people were toting serious cameras, but eventually Marc Lagrange got under the hood of the really, really big camera, and we all watched and wondered what the point was.

I also managed to speed-walk the Homo Fabre exhibition at the Royal Museum of Fine Arts, but was a little offended that his works, spread amongst medieval and Renaissance pieces, occasionally displaced some great pieces. Overall it didn't live up to the hype, at least for my taste. But the owls were cool and freaky. My last stop was the Rubenshuis, and I caught a mediocre performance of the prelude to my favorite non-Wagner opera, Monteverdi's Orfeo. I've definitely been spoiled by John Eliot Gardiner's recording. If I'd only heard this recital, I would never have fallen in love with the piece.

Lucky was in one piece when I returned... well, two. For the first time, I had taken off the front wheel to U-lock it with the frame. A pity, but having her robbed again would be even more of a pity.

Kasia is starting up at the Roosevelt Academy, so their carillon program is now official. Sweet. Maybe Chiaki and I can engineer a program for ourselves together. Who knows? My only worry is: Will I love Middelburg after living there for seven months as much as I loved it after living there for seven days?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems that you missed the demoshoot of Marc Lagrange in the 'FotoMuseum'...

carillonista said...

I was there for most of it, as I described in my blog entry. I probably saw you taking photos. And you probably saw me... I was one of the only Asians there, standing halfway between the models and Lagrange.