04 January 2006

culinary woes

My meals have been mediocre at best this year. I have drawn several helpful conclusions from each debacle:
  1. Overpriced Asian foods labeled with Dutch or French instructions, or worse yet, made in Belgium, are to be distrusted. I have never forced down more tasteless tofu or egg noodles in my life. (This is not to say that Belgian food isn't spectacular.)

  2. Being cut off from Sun Wah and Het Natuurhuis in Antwerpen may be logically equated with death for an Asian seafaring vegetarian.

  3. Your homemade dashi broth may smell exactly like the heavenly soup at Mifune in J-town SF, but the wakame udon dish itself will be utterly disappointing.

  4. Either Match Supermarkt does not carry sherry (as if not carrying Eiswein wasn't bad enough), or I don't know how to recognize sherry. Please, somebody tell me where I can buy some goddamn sherry!

  5. Never, ever substitute rice vinegar for rice wine.
I shall now cite the even more shrewd advice of Die Prinzen:

Ja, es empfiehlt dir die Gesundheitspolizei:
Vergammelte Speisen zu überhöhten Preisen
Sind zurückzuweisen!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this year? you are only 4 days into the new year.. come on.

carillonista said...

But that's the fun of it! I can talk about "this" year without committing myself to describing any sort of trend. During the last week of 2005, you could even say, "I'm booked for the rest of year," and it would be totally valid. 8-)

Klaas said...

This year (yes, this year :-) ), I've drawn one major conclusion when it comes to cooking vegetarian meals: very close to my apartment, there is a "bio"-restaurant called Wakame, where you can get a sattisfying, extremely fresh, delicious and extremely varied take-away dish for a mere 5.5 euros, 24/7. I am a very mediocre cook, and I hate mediocre cooks (well, especially, I hate myself cooking)...

But then again, as you said, 2006 is too young to tell anything about trends, so I guess there's hope :-)