03 January 2007

The Warners' Architecture in Rochester

hird Monroe County Court HouseCall me an architecture geek. Go ahead, do it. I can't help it if I'm super excited by this page about the architect whose work I first noticed in the form of an English church at at the end of Park Avenue during on of my Thanksgiving bike tours. The work of the Warners spans a delightful range of American architectural styles of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and J. Foster Warner even collaborated with McKim, Mead & White at least twice, once on the George Eastman House. How is it that I've been to the Eastman House twice and never been informed of the architects? Rochester needs to do a better job promoting its architectural heritage. The Warners are also responsible for old Sibley's, the Rochester Savings Banks that apparently is well worth entering, the city hall, Downtown Presbyterian with its Tiffany windows and out-of-place Italianate towers...

It's good to have reasons to look forward to returning to Rochacha.

No comments: