09 January 2007

scraps of the past

I took out my scrapbook to tape in some tickets from Europe, and decided for the first time in a long time to go back and look through the earliest pages. Flipping too far back, I discovered that the notebook had originally been one of the journals in which I was supposed to free-write at the beginning of some class during my freshman year of high school. The first entry read:

The heavens shrieked as angels fell, their power and goodness trickling into golden pools of blood until it spilled from their maimed wings. Some became human, elves, ogres, and all strove to retrieve the gold, hoarding and squabbling 'til the gods themselves were disgusted.

The sky broke open, pouring forth fury and tears. Clouds became windswept deserts and the stars dimmed and fell, setting heaven afire. The inferno raged over land and sea, neither [random God] could halt the fire's approach and destruction nor [random Goddess] cool its flames. Her ice melted, raining heartbroken shadows over the land, and for the first time Earth saw night.


I know I was a weird teenager. But this? What exactly prompted this? I'm a bit relieved to be too busy to read the rest of this notebook.

1 comment:

carillonista said...

Haha! I would hope not. The intention of this blog is to serve as a repository for memories as my brain doesn't appear to hold many for very long. But if I can't go through them again without being puzzled, those memories will be good as forgotten...