27 May 2006

miserere mei deus

The highly-recommended Asian restaurant Ilha Formosa is in a cozy Pelgrom-like barrel-vaulted basement. As usual, I started scouring the menu for the small section of food I could eat when I remembered that the establishment was vegetarian! The dishes were an explosion of flavor and each employed as many different vegetables and meat substitutes as possible. They even gave us the standard cheap Chinese candy with the bill.

St.-PauluskerkAt my wit's end under pressure, I'd nearly forgotten how much Compline used to clear my mind, and unwittingly, I came to a concert by the Canterbury Cathedral Choir and found the catharsis I'd forgotten would help me. I had never seen the interior of St.-Pauluskerk in Antwerpen and was stunned by the perfection of its composition and color and by its priceless collection of artwork. Every object was a treasure in its own right, and the famed 17th-century organ was gloriously restored. Sadly, it was also too far from the choir to play continuo, and the range of its keyboard was limited. They had to skip a piece with continuo, and the organist substituted Mendelssohn for Duruflé in one of his solos.

The Master of Music was gratified to be able to speak in English and to even find himself in "English weather". But the white light filtering in through the windows until nearly 10 pm only added to the church's beauty. I had never heard a boy's choir live, and it was everything people said it would be. Such little children; one in the front was perpetually fidgeting. But those small boys' clear, piercing voices filled the entire church. Their rendition of Allegri's "Miserere mei" (made famous when Mozart bootlegged it from the Vatican at the age of 14) was breathtaking. The unseen descant in the back sung even the highest notes well, and in one verse even sang them flawlessly, an achievement I had not even heard in my various recordings of the piece.

To my delight, the audience was filled with kindred souls... the woman in front of me was clearly enthused, and during the intermission everyone wandered around the church and gazed upwards in wonder. They even beat me to the postcard stand. Needless to say, the choir earned our standing ovation.

As I was stepping off the L train at Mechelen station, the Brussels-bound American in the booth across from mine suddenly hurried up to me and said, "I just wanted to tell you that you're gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful." He smiled at me with red eyes and then went back into the cabin. I'm sure he was simply struck in his drugged state by my funky outfit, but in any case I didn't burst his bubble by revealing that he was complimenting a fellow American instead of some cute foreign Belgian. Sorry dude, it's the California Girls who have the style...

4 comments:

Klaas said...

lol... hint of the week in our series "dating with Tiff": to effectively pick up any dude, just dress funky and pretend you're a cute foreign Belgian :-p

Oh, and if you're looking for a genuine flemish all-veggie restaurant, you REALLY should try Lekker Gec, opposite the railway station in Gent... the composition of vegetables, prepared in any imaginable way, is incredible!
And why am I always making publicity for Gent? I must admit I never got to enjoy a boy's choir here... By the way the first time I heard Allegri's miserere, was on a disc called "music from the Sistine chapel"... an old recording (can't exactly recall the performers, should ask Koen), maybe the way of performing is probably even of date by now, but still... it was breath-taking; I see your point...

Anonymous said...

Hello! This is the first time I react (or even read) a "blogger". And friend of mine and myself organised the concert on Saturday and I am very touched by the beautiful description of chruch and performance. You are so right! Unfortunately there were so few people to enjoy! The frist time they were in Antwerp, about 900 (!) people attended the concert. Saturday hardly 250. Anyway, the people were so kind and motivated! We hope to ask them again in 2 years... in Gent? why not! And also Bruges wants the choir. See you all next time

carillonista said...

Dirk: It must really be a small world if the organizer of a concert I attend ends up reading my blog. Thank you for organizing such a wonderful event! I hope next time the seats sell out, because anyone who didn't go missed out this time. Best of luck in your endeavors, and I'll keep an eye on upcoming Music Unites concerts...

carillonista said...

Koen: Oh darn, I was just in Gent on Sunday! (Briefly--I decided on a whim when I woke up too early that morning to join my teacher at his weekly recital). And I had a hell of a time finding something to eat... ending up wolfing down a slice of apple pie for a late lunch because the SMAK cafe had no food left. Next time you must take me to your veggie food! And hear the Miserere live when you find the chance... it's way cool to hear it in Cathedral Surround Sound (TM).