16 March 2006

getting here

Although they couldn't not have been tired, Matt and Andrea arrived today like rays of sunshine through the grey Belgian drear. To my surprised delight, they were as charmed by and enthusiastic about Mechelen (having not even seen the interesting parts of it) as I was when I first arrived, which was incredibly refreshing after the company of so many people accustomed to and sometimes weary of the city. After settling down in the vacated room to which one can "pick" the lock, we had curried noodles for dinner (my first time cooking for more than two in Belgium!) and then went out for the most ridiculous gigantic ice creams in cafe Anker, which nows offers English menus. Mechelen, Stad in Vrouwenhanden, must be getting more touristy.

This was followed by drinks at Den Stillen Genieter, at which Matt's great enthusiasm for and ability to describe beer finally revealed itself. A Belgian at heart. I never cease to be amazed at how he's considered every subject I could possibly bring up at length, as proved again in the wide-ranging conversation. Sometimes I've gotten tired of communicating my thoughts this year without knowing why. Tonight reminded me that Yale was incredibly conducive to intense communication about prolonged thoughts in a way I had taken for granted.

For the most part, people paid no attention to us, but a man in a brown jacket stopped by our table and stared at us not long after we arrived as if debating whether to approach us. He decided against it, but finally sat down uninvited at the end of the night in Andrea's chair while she was in the bathroom. "Excuse me. I just have a question: How did you get here?" I let Matt do the explaining that I was a resident and had recommended the place, while I wondered what the man would do next. To my surprise, he thanked us apologetically and hurried off after Matt attempted to introduce himself to break the ice. Nice but peculiar fellow or "ill-mannered drunk," to use his drescription?

No comments: