22 March 2006

amateurskunsten

Mayumi and I will have a room to show our art during the Week van de Amateurskunsten in Mechelen! My first exhibition outside of school--although ironically in an old school building. I hope it'll be something like City-Wide Open Studios in New Haven. I volunteered for a CWOS exhibition in a public school building that was being renovated, and it was there that I met my photographic spelunking idol Christopher Beauchamp. In any case, I am ecstatic! Time to make giant prints of my photos. I've never seen them in large format before, and I'm sure many of them would look better enlarged.

This morning I received my official letter of admission and financial aid award package via FedEx from Eastman (dang!). Half of my costs will be covered by a graduate fellowship, teaching assistantship, and to my surprise, a position as EROI web developer, which will pay two hours per week, although it's unlikely it would involve that much work. And to think, I only mentioned that I'd be willing to volunteer for the job in the hopes that I'd stand out from the horde.

I played better during my lesson in St.-Romboutstoren today than last week (certainly playing on Friday helped), and Geert was as passionate and dramatic a teacher as ever. He himself said that lessons on the real carillon were much "more fun". But listening to him transpose van Noordt's Sonate to basically all useful carillon keys without sheet music made me realize that I still have a long way to go...if I ever 'go' it.

Eddy and I both got Tom penguin cards and bells (in metal and chocolate) for his birthday--enough for a carillon with the Michiels bell as bourdon. Happy birthday, Tom!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the bday card and awesome gift! Want to help me eat chocolate bells sometime?

Also, sure Geert is teh awesomexor, but what I heard of your van Noordt was none too shabby, yo.

carillonista said...

Dude of course I'll help consume them bells! I eat carillons for breakfast!

Sir Robin said...

I saw your name at the folder of 'Week van de Amateurkunsten'.
Because I study photography in Mechelen, I wondered who was exposing there.

With a bit of luck (if I have some time), I'll pass by.

Lots of succes!