26 September 2005

orrrgel!

I have passed my entrance exam and am now a vrije student at the Koninklijk Vlaams Conservatorium Antwerpen, studying the organ with Joris Verdin! So at least for this semester's studies, the major building blocks are finally in place. Not only that, but I now have a fellow student and friend in Lier. Tomorrow I'll be coming home with a badass jacket from the Antwerp H&M (the big one--there are 3 or 4 H&M's on that one shopping block!!!) just as I promised myself I would if I passed. Furthermore, I have at long last found a fast, friendly sit-down Asian noodle bar. I cannot imagine that there even exists a niche for such a service, but perhaps people go there just for the "novelty" of the experience that I have missed so dearly since coming to this leisurely country.

However, tonight I burst into tears at my helplessness against my increasingly severe allergic reactions to mosquito bites (tonight I actually had a hive attack while practicing from 11 pm to 1 am), inability to find anything effective agianst mosquitos in Belgium--probably just because I'm a foreigner--and the problems with my shower. It's exhilarating and so difficult to be in a strange land. But at least now I have my decaf Earl Grey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how excited I am about coming across this website. I studied for three years (in the 1970's) at the Koninlijk Muziekconservatorium Brussel. I had a boyfriend at the time from Mechelen who used to take me up into the carillon chamber(?)and I had the opportunity of being able to play this incredible instrument. I'm not so sure the people in town enjoyed it, but I will never forget it. He is still in Mechelen and teaches violin and plays chamber music. I am sure he would love to meet you. He would be a great resource for you.

Have a wonderful adventure. Tot ziens!!!

carillonista said...

I didn't imagine that anyone was reading my blog, let alone taking an interest in it! Sint-Romboutstoren houses one of my three favorite carillons in the world... I am glad you got to play it. If you are ever in town, I would be happy to take you to the tower again. Likewise, it would be great for me to meet anyone you know in Mechelen!