09 September 2005

himmelblau Wände

This Zurich sign for "In the city without my auto" is disturbing in an awesome kind of way, although I suppose it isn't so disturbing unless you've seen the animation. It's part of a huge movement called Mobility Week Europe. I am scrambling to figure out what Carfree events are going on in Flemish Belgium (can always escape to NL if need be) and paying close attention to the bike culture and unwritten rules. Also on the lookout for good ride partners. Incidentally, get a load of this: Climate Alliance of European Cities with Indigenous Rainforest Peoples. Like are these folks for real or what?

Diving right into the culture here so far hasn't been a problem. I'm sure there must be such a thing as culture shock, but if it's going to hit me, it had better make itself more obvious. I spent the afternoon painting a room for the first time--my room, of course, im Himmelblau, a cross between the colors of the student rooms I've liked most at Yale (Derek's and my room in SAE). Bright blue and orange are going to be my decor colors, and somehow in Belgium they are much easier to obtain than in the US. Really having the time to decorate and having all the shops I need within walking/biking distance is a tremendous change for me, and another reminder that I am out in the 'real world' beyond the Yale bubble.

Everything I could possibly want in Belgium is practically outside my doorstep--cafes, bars, markets, cheap home furnishings, craft shops, wine, chocolate, carillons...and even--would you believe it--the Michiels building, right around the corner. In how many cities in the world would your chances of living down the street from an old bellfounder be this high? Even better, I can hear bells outside just distantly enough to not be distracted, but just clearly enough to be reminded that I am indeed in the land that has enchanted me with its bells from my first visit onward.

Of course, I remain haunted by darker memories... nearly cried for a moment as I was painting and listening to "See the Sun." Only for a moment. The rest of the afternoon and evening have been sweaty painting and bliss.

Amaaaazing fact: I.M. Pei has designed a carillon in Japan. Another amazing fact: the tallest carillon tower in the world houses a defunct carillon in Mexico City.

No comments: