05 July 2007

Gerda was kind enough to drive me back to St. Maartensdijk to fetch my trench coat and mobile phone from the church. The weather cleared up for our drive, and because she never has reason to come that way and enjoys being behind the wheel, we felt like we were on vacation. Not such a bad compromise: She saves me from being on the bus for two hours and then waiting heaven knows how long for a return bus, and I get the equipment back that will enable me to keep things running while she attends to other summer school business. Except that Kasia still has the keys to the bike. I seriously need that equipment back.

Fortepiano and violin concert poster
Besides making up contact sheets, organizing the trips, keeping track of everyone, and acting as if my stomach's just fine, I'm expected to design our PR as well. They do keep me busy. Now if only I could find enough time to practice the carillon! I'm doubly annoyed because nobody has gotten back to me until today about playing Paul's "Tiffany Sketches" either on the real carillon with Frans' speakers or at his master class, which is supposedly on carillon and tape music. They all said things would just turn out "fine" -- magically. And as it turns out, I was asked to provide the master class equipment today! We'll chalk this one up to cultural differences. At least the time difference between Europe and the US works in my favor for making last-minute requests overseas. I shouldn't speak too soon, though.

Piano concert poster
All in all, things are getting more fun. With everyone finally showing up, going on field trips, hearing a ridiculously beautiful opening concert by Geert, and then bantering the evening away in Dutch bars, it's getting to be like the old days. But minus characters like Bauke and Chiaki -- alas! Can it ever be the same without them?

No comments: