07 October 2006

RoCo

On my fourth attempt, I finally made it to the Rochester Contemporary art gallery -- just as it was closing. And the volunteer on staff insisted that I take as much time as I wanted to see the exhibit, a delightful combination of surprisingly convincing miniature landscapes created on plastic packaging and carefully documented and classified studies of lost shopping carts. The volunteer, who's lived in San Francisco, Boston, and London and is married to a German scientist, gave me a wealth of information on the arts in Rochester and revealed that RoCo has some ties to Eastman. Who knows what concerts might arise from such a collaboration? I'm definitely on the volunteer list now.

Incidentally, UR ranked 21st on the London Times' world ranking of colleges. I'm impressed. Also impressive but highly disturbing: "[Harvard's] endowment of $26 billion (£13.8 billion) exceeds total annual funding for all British universities." Let's see what Joseph Soares has to say about that one.

No comments: