06 April 2006

freedom

Traded in an afternoon of measuring bells indoors for biking => My first bike tour since the accident. I was beaming the entire way.

Who should I run into for the first time on the canals but Alice and her dog Ijs?

And what should I notice for the first time but that one can see St.-Romboutstoren even from the Kanaal Leuven-Dijle in Battel-Zennegat?

Some of the boats along the canal are part of a historical boat association and have informational signs that I had never tried reading before, since I couldn't read much Dutch at the time. These signs reminded me of the bike tour I want to lead for Bulldogs in Brussels, and for the rest of the trip my head began filling with ideas of what a carillon and historical tour of Mechelen on foot and bike could feature.

1 comment:

carillonista said...

I'm the Queen of Tea and King of the Road. Die Prinzen said it all: "Nur Geniesser fahren Fahrrad und sind immer schneller da".

You're def the only reader who'd know (or would use the tower as a distance gauge, for that matter). It also just occurred to me that when I was sleeping in a parking lot on the Zandpoort in 2002, you were probably just a couple blocks away. As was my future house.