03 December 2007

After three years, I have rediscovered it: The quote that expresses my understanding of and approach to the perceivable world.

"It is the mark of our period that everything can be regarded as a work of art and seen in textual terms. I count this, to vary a title I envy Suzi Gablik for inventing, the re-enchantment of the world. Contemporary art replaces beauty, everywhere threatened, with meaning."
--Arthur Danto, "Art and Meaning" in The Madonna of the Future

This means so much more to me than it did when I first read it, before I had developed a more nuanced and wide-ranging appreciation for art, a sense of my own artistic identity, and a grasp of all the facts needed to understand Danto's arguments. Thanks, Professor Seeley.

It can't be coincidence that while writing this entry I learned of the movie My Kid Could Paint That.

My next struggle: How to apply Danto's claims to music and sound.

No comments: