28 November 2007

Un Sport Combat

It has become patently clear to me that I cannot interact with people who act primarily on intuition, even if I admire them greatly. A lot makes sense now.

My long search is perhaps coming to an end -- Pierre Carles' documentary on Pierre Bourdieu, "La Sociologie est un sport de combat," will be released on DVD in December with multilingual subtitles. I hope, hope, hope some retailer will offer it. Amazon isn't planning to, so I'm a bit distressed. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to shopping for TV-type things.

I have surprised myself again by writing an extended essay without a conclusive thesis in mind (I wasn't decided between one possible thesis and its opposite) and without the mental coherence to consciously develop a big picture, and yet ending up with a relatively coherently argued paper. I suppose all those years with CyberEdit reorganizing bad essays did me some good. It was exciting to finally get to analyze an electronic musical work, to feel like I was doing something new to me that employed the skills I've spent five years developing. I hope Professor Watkins buys it.

No comments: